Sunday, February 10, 2013

52 Weeks Project: Week 5

Fasnacht masks!

James & Katy
The past week was spent preparing for our first trip to Fasnacht in Helvetia, WV, which was a pretty bizarre experience. I had a fun craft day with my pal Katy, just working on ideas and avoiding hot glue related burns. I ended up making a deer mask out of felt, lace, buttons and yarn. I made the antlers out of some wire coat hangers with a knit/crochet combo cover on them. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I see a large knit taxidermy project in my near future.


Fasnacht was definitely an experience, I for sure recommend you check it out in the future.

Some highlights from the evening...

Fasnacht 2013
Driving for hours annoying my husband with my awesome musical taste and car singing abilities with my besties.

Dinner at the Hutte. (ABSURDLY GOOD Swiss-German food!)

Me being introduced as "Jen's older sister". (NOOOOO!!!)

Banjo/fiddle music and beer in the Star Band Hall...

Getting told by some dude I went to high school with and haven't seen in years that I might look like I've had a baby...

Getting told by the same dude I went to high school with that his 4 year old knows quantum physics...HA!




Joining a candlelit parade of masqueraders traveling to the community hall (where Old Man Winter hung in effigy from the ceiling)...



Listening to people address the back of Katy's mask...

Creepy Inspector Gadget channeling lurker...

Awesome Jesco White channeling old dude...

Square dancing, more beer...

Hardcore costume judging rewarded by tiny Swiss flags.



More square dancing!

More beer!

Wes has no filter on his mouth!

Festivities continued until midnight, when Old Man Winter is cut down, carried on the shoulders of the celebrants to the bonfire outside, and burned to signal the end of Winter.

How cool is that?

Though I do have to admit, the three hour drive home made me cave into my old ladyness and we left before midnight.

Sorry friends who carpooled with me!

All in all though, it was a pretty awesome time.


Wes & James
The back of Katy's head!
Crow Girl.
Thanks to Katy Peno for taking some pictures, my camera didn't make it out of my purse. I'm working on that.

On a side note, I'm sorry this is such a sloppy post, I only had five minutes!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment