Friday, January 4, 2013

52 Weeks Project 1

I've been an avid knitter forever, and the accumulated yarn stash from the last ten years should probably be insured. Seriously, you should see it. I think you could swim in it.

After Henry arrived I had to trade in my knitting needles for crochet hooks (so I wouldn't poke out his eyes or have to pick up a million stitches) and I've come to love to crochet as much as I love to knit. During all the time I spent breastfeeding (when we weren't reading nerd novels) I made Hank a ton of weird little hats. I attempted to get an Etsy shop going to sell them under the name Innocent Aesop, but two years later have yet to list anything. Lazy me!

Worlds Smallest Radiohead Fan

One of my goals for 2013 is to get some of my patterns written up. Maybe even list some finished hats on Etsy in my spare time. (Ha! Spare time?) Word of mouth has kept me pretty busy, to the point that I still owe a few people some holiday hats. (My bad guys! I haven't forgotten about you!)

"52 Weeks Project" number one: Crochet pattern for the Sleeping Owl Newborn Hat is written! I'm going to make one more hat just be 100% sure the pattern is correct, then I'll post it here so you can make your own. Yay, productivity!

Sleeping Owl Hat

I recently made a few of these hats for Christine Baggett of CMH Photography, LLC in Saint Cloud, FL. I'm toying with the idea of selling them at the B&B souvenir shop. It was super exciting to see the finished photos of them. They are such a cute family, and she's a great photographer. If you are in the area you should check her out.




The Baggett Family
I've also been doing a bunch of custom hats, and they have become my go-to gift for the awesome kids in my life. Henry "helped"  make the kitty hat gifted to my friend Emily's sweet daughter Hazel. At her birthday party when she opened it he started yelling "It's a hat! Hazel, it's a HAT!"...he's not so informed about the element of surprise, I guess. Hooray for busy children, because happily she either didn't hear him or she's very good at faking surprise.

I just wish I was better at writing down what I'm doing, my style of crochet is to just go at it until I like it. Awesome and uncomplicated, but it's hard to make an exact duplicate.

Kitty Hat for Hazel
And there you have it. We are currently buried under 12+ inches of snow, so maybe I'll keep being productive? (Or maybe we'll watch cartoons and drink hot chocolate?)

Check back in the future for some free patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment